Question

Walking

How can I manage my weight by walking?

• ABill Salt, MD, Gastroenterology, answered
    For weight management, studies now show that the goal is to take 10,000 steps each day. You may take anywhere from 900 to 3,000 steps during an ordinary day, so you can see that unless you have an unusually physical job, you will need to take an intentional walk. Taking 10,000 steps is the approximate equivalent of walking five miles. The actual distance covered depends upon the length of your stride. Consider purchasing a pedometer. The average person will burn 100 calories by walking a mile, so walking five miles burns approximately 500 calories.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • AJonathan Penney, Fitness, answered on behalf of National Academy of Sports Medicine
    The best way to manage your weight in general is to pay close attention to what you eat and when you eat.  Walking will help burn calories and can assist in weight lose or weight maintenance.  However, if you do not eat correctly then your walking will not be as beneficial as it can be. 
    Helpful? 17 people found this helpful.
What does walking briskly mean?