Question

Running

My knees hurt a lot after jogging, am I doing something wrong?

• AJoel Harper - Elite Trainer, Fitness, answered
    I am not big on jogging. Why? Numerous new clients have come to me with knee problems that they blame on years of jogging and not stretching out. I am not totally against jogging, but if you do it, you must learn how to stretch properly. Make sure your lower body is tension free. I also jog behind my clients to show them why they have a knee problem and it is amazing how they are repetitively doing something different with both of their feet. Step after step this will throw your knees off, so focus on doing the same thing with both. Ever so often glance down at your toes. When you stretch the same concept applies- make sure your feet are flat and straight up. When you jog think floating instead of pounding.
  • ABrian Yee, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, answered

It is common for joggers to have knee pain. It is usually due to a combination of improper strength and flexibility not only at the knee, but also the hip and ankle/foot. The hip is designed to absorb a majority of shock, as well as produce power through the gluteal muscles. The ankle/foot contacts the ground and provides proper ground reaction forces up the kinetic chain. If the hip or ankle/foot do not work correctly, the knee undergoes increased stress. Like a paper clip bending repetitively, injuries at the knee can then occur. In runners, pain can present itself in the front (i.e. patellar pain), lateral portion (i.e. iliotibial band syndrome), or along the medial knee (i.e. ligament or meniscus injury). It is important to address proper mechanics through the entire leg to allow a jogger to run efficiently without causing further injury.

If running is causing more pain in the knee, it is recommended not to “run through the pain” but rather limit the running by staying short of pain getting worse. Take the time outside of running to address proper strength, flexibility of both legs and core stability to provide efficient mechanics to jog at the distance/intensity you are striving for.  Fitting of running shoes for your foot type and/or full-length orthotics should be considered as well as contacting a running coach to assess your stride and running mechanics.

• AAlan Bain, Internal Medicine, answered on behalf of MDLIVE
    While stretching is very important, getting properly fit with the right running shoes is of equal if not more important value. Do not run without getting properly fit. Pronating problems with the feet are more common than is realized. Also, if you are overweight and you are doing too much at first, this could be very problematic. Go slow and take your time in building up properly.
  • It does seem to be common to have knee pain during running.  I used to have this as well.  There are many factors to consider.  Do you have the right running shoes?  Are you running outside or on a treadmill?  How often are you running?  Have you seen a doctor about this?  Females tend to have more issues with this than males.  Have you tried taking Glucosamine?  I have taken this in the past and it really has helped.  It lubricates your joints.  You may want to consider cutting back on running and doing other types of low impact cardio to balance your running or consider seeing doctor.
What kinds of fun runs can I do if I enjoy a challenge?