Because there are so many different types and combinations of melatonin, there are also many different ways to take it. You should follow the directions of your doctor and those printed on the medication container. When you first begin taking melatonin, you should not drive or operate machinery as you are often very drowsy after your first dose.
A Answers (2)
Stacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answered
Michael Breus, PhD, Psychology, answered
Melatonin should be used under the guidance of a doctor and sleep professional and:
- should be used at the correct dosage
- should be taken about 90 minutes before lights out
- should be used for a short time (less than 3 months)
- should never be used in combination with other sleep inducing medications
- should never be used with alcohol
- should never be used in children (younger than 18 years)
There are possible interaction effects that could change the effectiveness of your current medication regimen.