Question

Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

Can I reverse the aging effects of smoking if I quit?

• AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered
    The wrinkling caused by smoking seems to be reversible in a noticeable way within a year or two of quitting. Although smoking a pack a day makes a person eight years older in RealAge (physiologic age), cessation of smoking can earn back seven of those years. Of course, the number of years you smoked before you quit determines somewhat how many years you get back. The sooner you quit, the better. In fact, if you quit before you smoke twenty pack-years and before age thirty-five, you get back almost eight years that you aged. The net effect of being a former smoker is that a person who stopped a one-pack-a-day habit at age forty-five is only about one year older in RealAge by the time he or she reaches fifty. So, while his or her calendar age has become five years older, he or she is really two years younger.
  • ABurke Lennihan RN CCH, Alternative/complementary Medicine, answered

To some extent, and the worst aging effect is one that you don’t see: the damage done to your lungs. To help your lungs clear out tar, you can use Smokers’ Cleanse by Renew Life.

But I bet you were talking about wrinkles, and yes, there are things you can do to reduce the wrinkles caused by smoking (because it damages the collagen fibers in the skin). Here are some things you can try:

Face creams with hyaluronic acid (be sure to get a reputable brand so that it will have a significant amount of hyaluronic acid in it)

The cell salt Calcarea fluorica 6x, which helps to strengthen any elastic (stretchy) tissue in the body

In my health food store, the favorite anti-wrinkle product was Borlind of Germany LL Regeneration Eye Wrinkle Cream. (I do not sell any of these products and do not have any financial connection with any products I recommend.)

How does smoking increase aging?