Question

Eye and Vision

What causes blue discoloration of the whites of my eyes?

• ALee Duffner, MD, Ophthalmology, answered on behalf of American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
    Blue discoloration of the whites of the eyes is rare and occurs when there is abnormal thinning of the sclera, which is the white outer wall of the eye. Most cases of such blue discoloration occur in young children with rare severe congenital abnormalities of the musculoskeletal system. Some patients with Marfan's syndrome, a congenital condition that may not become apparent until teenage years or later, may show a bluish discoloration of the whites of the eyes. In older individuals, there may be bluish or grayish areas of thinning of the sclera near the inner or outer corners of the eyes where some of the muscles that move the eye are attached to the white of the eye; such thinning is benign and requires no treatment. 
Can heat change the color of my eyes?