Question

Healthy Eye and Vision

How can I protect my eyes while using a computer?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered

et your computer on a low table, or use a portable computer so your eyes look down when you work. This keeps the eyelid opening smaller, which reduces your chance of developing the condition dry eye.  Also change your computer’s flicker rate to 70 or above to help reduce irritation.

Look up from the screen every 20 minutes or so and stare 20 feet ahead for 20 seconds. If you sit at a computer all day, take a 10-minute break every two hours and go for a walk.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
  • A simple method to protect your eyes is to take frequent breaks. If this is not an option because you are at work, then the 20/20/20 rule can be used. Every 20 minutes stare at something 20 or more feet away for 20 seconds. Looking outside at a tree or mountain range would be an example. Also, frequent blinking helps lubricate the eyes and decreases the sensation of dryness.
Why should I use compact fluorescent light bulbs instead of incandescents?