A Answers (3)
Lisa Lillien, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
Cindy Gay, Nutrition & Dietetics, answeredHot air popcorn without added salt is a whole grain, high in fiber and low in sodium and calories.
Corn tortillas, wedged and baked, also are whole grain and low in sodium and calories. Homemade salsa made with raw or no added salt tomatoes, fresh cilantro, green peppers, onion and garlic is a low sodium, vitamin C rich accompaniment.
Portioned amounts of baked Tostados and commercial salsas have more nutrients than chips and dip.
Rose Reisman, Nutrition & Dietetics, answeredWhen we’re in a nibbly mood and ready to watch our favorite TV show, what often comes to mind are potato chips, tortilla chips or bagel crisps that satisfy the salt and fat we’re hungry for.
But just 1 oz. which is about 11 chips or crisps can contain about 155 calories and 10 grams of fat including saturated fat. When was the last time you only ate 11 chips?
Let me give you an alternative. My favorite snack is to slice a whole tortilla, pita or bagel into 6 wedges or slices, sprinkle with your favorite seasoning such as garlic powder, cayenne or parmesan cheese and spray with some vegetable oil. Bake in a 400 F oven for about 10 minutes just until crisp. The fat is reduced by 50% and there is virtually no saturated fat. The sodium is controlled as well when you bake your own.
- Make a large batch and store in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks.
- Great to enjoy while watching “The Biggest Loser”!
- A healthy dip option is this red bell pepper hummus recipe:
- The addition of roasted bell pepper to a hummus dip creates a new flavour and colour. This is not only great as a dip but also as a spread for sandwiches or tortillas.
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper (about 1/2 small roasted red pepper)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. water
- 1/2 tsp. finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp. hot chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
- In the bowl of a small food processor, combine the chickpeas, roasted red pepper, tahini, lemon juice, oil, water, garlic and chili sauce.
- Purée until smooth. Garnish with parsley.