Question

Diabetes Complications

How can a feeding tube treat diabetes-related gastroparesis?

• If other approaches of treating gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) do not work, you may need surgery to insert a feeding tube. The tube, called a jejunostomy tube, is inserted through the skin on your abdomen into the small intestine. The feeding tube allows you to put nutrients directly into the small intestine, bypassing the stomach altogether. You will receive special liquid food to use with the tube.

By avoiding the source of the problem (the stomach) and putting nutrients and medication directly into the small intestine, you ensure that these products are digested and delivered to your bloodstream quickly. A jejunostomy tube can be temporary and is used only if necessary when gastroparesis is severe.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
What should I eat if I have diabetes-related gastroparesis?