Question

Contraceptive

What is Lutera?

• AStacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answered
    Lutera (ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel) is a birth control pill. It is a combination of two hormones -- ethinyl estradiol, a synthetic estrogen, and levonorgestrel, a progestin.

Lutera works primarily by blocking ovulation (the release of an egg) but also by making it more difficult for sperm to reach the egg and for a fertilized egg to implant in the uterus.

Although Lutera is approved only for the purpose of contraception, it is also sometimes prescribed to treat acne; polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), a hormonal condition that can cause infertility and other problems; and heavy or irregular menstruation. It's also used as an emergency contraception.

Lutera does not protect against the transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) or other sexually transmitted diseases.
Can I use Lutera if I have diabetes?