Test Your Cold and Flu SmartsTake the quiz
AskMDGot a runny nose? Find out more about your symptoms
Number of viruses identified
that can cause colds
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Cold and Flu Q&As
Joel Fuhrman, MD
Can antibiotics help treat a cold?
The common cold, the flu, and over 95% of all acute sicknesses are caused by viruses. I mention this specifically because one of the major issues with the cold and flu is not the illness itself but the myriad ways we try to treat it . . .
- Q What causes a cold?
- Q How can a cold be treated?
- Q What is the flu?
- Q What are the symptoms of the flu?
- Q How many people die from the flu each year?
- Q Who is most in need of an annual flu shot?
- Q How can I prevent the flu?
- Q What are natural treatments for cold and flu?
- Q What are treatments for a sinus infection?
- Q How can I stay healthy during flu season?
Cold and Flu Action Plans
If you think you might have a cold or flu, follow these Action Plans to feel better fast.
Relieve Your Symptoms with this Herb Rev Your Immune System 5-Step Plan to Avoid Colds and Flu 5 Immunity Boosters Learn More: See All Cold and Flu Articles
Colds and Flu VideosSee more cold and flu videos
White Bean Soup
Stave off sniffles with this hearty soup. White kidney beans and spinach contain zinc, a powerful immunity booster; tomatoes add an extra dose of vitamin C.
Avoid Colds and Flu When You Fly
Watch this video for proven tips to reduce your risk of catching a cold or the flu when you travel.
Discussions on DailyStrength
I have a cough that won't go away