Question

Breastfeeding A Baby

How soon after birth should I start breastfeeding?

• AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered
    If you are even considering breastfeeding, you need to start immediately - you can always stop, but once you dry up in 7 to 10 days after birth, there's no going back.
  • It is best for both mothers and infants to start attempting to breastfeed as soon as possible after birth. However, due to factors surrounding the birth -- as in the case of a C-section, when the mother must recover from surgery, and vaginal deliveries with complications that require extra care for either mother or baby -- breastfeeding is sometimes delayed by several hours. It's recommended that you start breastfeeding as soon as you and baby are stable.
  • AMargit Lister, MD, Obstetrics & Gynecology, answered on behalf of Intermountain Healthcare
    You are usually in your postpartum room the first hour after child birth and are usually there for one to two hours. One of the most important things that you can do within the first hour is breast-feed. That is the ideal time. The babies go into a quiet sleep state after about one hour. Your ideal time to actually teach them something on how to latch on and everything similar is within the first hour of birth. Getting the baby latched on, and learning how to nurse is so critically important within the first hour of life. Say to your family, "Hey, the baby is not going to change in the next 15 to 20 minutes. Give me an opportunity to breast-feed and bond with my child." It will be easier for you to breast-feed for the remainder of the postpartum period.
  • ADeborah Raines, MSN, Nursing, answered on behalf of Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)

Immediately. In the first hour after birth most babies are wide awake and making smacking sounds with their lips. They are looking for that first taste of mother's milk. If a newborn is held and the mother's breast gently touches the newborn's cheek, the baby will open its mouth seeking out the breast nipple. Majority of babies quickly latch onto the breast during this immediate post birth period. 

Why do many women choose not to breastfeed?