As a renowned dentist and prosthodontist in practice for nearly 30 years, Dr. Levine, a Sharecare expert, offers a comprehensive approach to dental health, intersecting beauty with function. Dr. Levine is a visionary product inventor, clinical researcher and published author. Holding three patents and 12 patents pending in oral care, Dr. Levine is responsible for modernizing the way people whiten their teeth. Dr. Levine is an Associate Professor at the NYU School of Dentistry and is as committed to advances in the medical field as he is to his patients at his Upper East Side practice.
While saliva is your body’s natural protective mechanism when it comes to your teeth, it still needs help because of the amount of sugary and acidic drinks and foods that pass through the mouth. Brushing regularly with toothpaste and flossing every day is absolutely necessary. But not all oral health i...Read More
Saliva production protects our mouths by bathing the teeth with invader-fighting antibodies and by keeping our mouth pH neutral. At a low or acidic pH, teeth demineralize and bad bacteria that cause gum inflammation thrive.
The natural pH level of one’s saliva hovers right on neutral in the range...Read More
Our bodies produce around two to four pints of saliva every day, the least of which is produced at night (hello, morning breath!). When our mouths are dry, the soft tissues like gums, cheeks and tongue become swollen and uncomfortable. In addition, germs aren’t regularly washed out of our mouths...Read More
Flexing happens when decay in or under an old restoration (or filling) eats away at the tooth, destabilizing the tooth, unsupported, and thus, flexing it. And when the tooth flexes, it sends an impulse back to the nerve, and then to the brain, communicating pain.
- WORRY LEVEL: Moderate. This condition
As soon as you see your new whiter teeth, you'll be hit with what I call "The WOW" experience. Your teeth will now have become as many as 12 shades whiter, so you won't be able to stop checking them out in the mirror. You'll feel like a new person. It is a great high.
But, within a few days, you'll...Read More
You should avoid teeth whitening:
- When you're pregnant: Research has shown that whitening teeth could possibly harm a fetus.
- When you're breastfeeding: There's been no conclusive evidence that's proven whitening to be dangerous when nursing, but there's been no conclusive evidence saying that i
Call your dentist and ask him to explain to you what goes on during a child’s first appointment, so you can then prepare your child for what to expect. Also, be sure to bring your child’s medical history with you to the appointment.
Instead of instilling fear in your child about the dentist, get him...Read More
The following are advancements in teeth whitening technology:
- A time-released gel that contains six percent hydrogen peroxide when applied, but increases to ten percent over the course of five to ten minutes -- cutting the time one has to keep the agent on his or her teeth significantly.
If a tooth is traumatized, the ligament around the tooth becomes wider, increasing the mobility and causing an inflammation in its ligament space, called ligament pain. Unlike orthodontia, where the force that's applied is measured, untold, pathological force can cause bone destruction.
A tooth is divided into three parts.
- The root, which is the foundation of the tooth. It’s hidden below the gum line.
- The cementum, which is the layer of bone-like tissue that covers the outer surface of the root.
- The crown, which is the majority of the tooth and the part that’s visible.
There are several disadvantages of using silver amalgam tooth fillings:
- Many patients don’t like the look of silver in their mouths.
- Sometimes healthy parts of the tooth need to be removed to make room for the amalgam filling.
- It has the potential to crack and fracture more than other filling
There are several advantages of composite tooth fillings:
- A composite is a good choice when the decay is minor. Since it’s contained within a tooth (as opposed to taking over an entire side or section of a tooth), it doesn’t encounter much force.
- The composite is by far the most subtle restorations. Its
There are several disadvantages of gold tooth fillings:
- It’s more expensive than other materials, up to ten times higher than the cost of an amalgam.
- Many patients don’t like the look of gold in their mouths.
- Its placement requires at least two office visits.
- Galvanic shock: The ADA notes
Scaling removes the deposits of tartar above and below the gum. A scaler looks like a pen with a curved end, making it easier for the dentist to get into the hard-to-reach spots, like the pockets. Scaling also removes any diseased bacteria (called bacterial endotoxins) that may have gotten under...Read More