What can I do if my breasts are uneven in size?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

For severe breast asymmetry it is reasonable to consult with a Board certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon. In my practice, I see both congenital breast asymmetry cases and post pregnancy and breast feeding mismatches. Different volume saline or silicone gel implants may be used to regain symmetry. Often the larger breast with congenital asymmetry cases requires a breast lift to tighten up the skin laxity. Women over the age of 35 or with family history of breast cancer should have screening mammograms prior to surgical correction.

If you are a B cup on one side and a D on the other, it is worth asking your doctor about what is going on. Many times,  nature will fix the problem; your breasts keep growing all the way through your early twenties, and most surgeons won’t even consider breast surgery until your breasts are fully developed. If the imbalance persists and bothers you significantly, breast surgery can either augment or reduce the size. Surgery is not a decision to be taken lightly, however, as it carries its own risks that may outweigh the cosmetic benefits.

Should you decide to let nature take its course, you can change your breasts’ contour somewhat through resistance training, like light weight lifting or Pilates, to strengthen your pectoralis muscles. Exercising those pecs can keep your upper body toned and give your breasts extra lift.

Continue Learning about Your Body