What are the symptoms of a yeast infection?

Shelley C. Giebel, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Itching! Itching is the most common complaint of someone with a vaginal yeast infection.  White or yellow thick discharge can also occur.  A rash on the outside can be red and itchy.  Odor is usually associated with other types vaginal infections that are caused by bacteria, not yeast. 

Taking a prescription given by your physician is preferable to over-the-counter (OTC) yeast medications as some can cause rashes, or contact dermititis.  Some of the OTC products have chemicals that can cause allergic reactions.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
What are the symptoms of a yeast infection in a breastfeeding baby or mom?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Sometimes a yeast infection can develop on the mother’s breast or in the baby’s mouth. Some yeast ...
How do I treat yeast overgrowth in the intestines?
Amy E. Myers, MDAmy E. Myers, MD
Yeast overgrowth is treated by changing your diet, taking herbal supplements, and also with prescrip...
How Do I Treat Yeast Overgrowth in the Intestines?