What are the symptoms of candidiasis?

The symptoms of candidiasis vary somewhat with the part of the body that is infected. Candidiasis of the mouth, also called thrush, is characterized by painful, irregular white spots or lesions in the mouth. Sometimes the tongue is very red and the corners of the mouth may crack. Thrush can spread to the esophagus and cause pain when swallowing. On the skin, candidiasis appears as a painful, itchy red or white rash. When candidiasis infects a woman's vagina, the symptoms are typically itching, pain, and a thick white or yellow discharge.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
How do I know if I have yeast/fungal overgrowth?
Elizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RDElizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RD
If you have yeast or fungal overgrowth, symptoms include fatigue, recurring yeast infections or fung...
How does sugar consumption relate to yeast overgrowth?
Sugary foods that are high in refined and simple carbohydrates can feed the yeast in the body and ca...
How Do I Know If I Have Yeast/Fungal Overgrowth?