How are yeast infections (vulvovaginal candidiasis) treated?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Yeast infections are mostly treated with over-the-counter medications.  There are numerous over-the-counter preparations, and I believe that a 3-day course of vaginal cream is the best mode of treatment.  If this does not work, then medical attention is necessary.

Yeast infections can be cured with antifungal medicines that come as:

Creams Tablets Ointments or suppositories that are inserted into the vagina

These products can be bought over the counter at the drug store or grocery store. Your doctor can also prescribe you a single dose of oral fluconazole (floo-con-uh-zohl). But do not use this drug if you are pregnant.

Infections that don't respond to these medicines are starting to be more common. Using antifungal medicines when you don't really have a yeast infection can raise your risk of getting a hard-to-treat infection in the future.

This answer is based on source information from National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
Should I talk to my doctor about my chronic yeast infection?
You should definitely talk to your doctor about your chronic yeast infection. If you are having recu...
What are the main causes of yeast overgrowth in the body?
Amy E. Myers, MDAmy E. Myers, MD
The main causes of yeast overgrowth in the gut include taking certain antibiotics and medications, a...
How Does Sugar Consumption Relate to Yeast Overgrowth?