What does cervical mucus do?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed
Because of cervical mucus, your vagina is a self-cleaning oven. The cap of mucus at the cervix constantly, gradually rolls down the undulating walls of the vagina, carrying away stray bacteria, sperm, viruses, and any other bits of flotsam that find their way into the vagina. You need never douche; just allow cervical mucus to do its job.

Most of the month, your cervical mucus forms a protective barrier at the cervix, blocking sperm and everything else from making its way too close to the precious uterus and adnexa. At ovulation, the mucus forms long channels that allow the passage of sperm, so that pregnancy can happen with risk of infection minimized.

You can even use the changing texture of your mucus to help keep track of when you’re fertile.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

8 Things to Know Before You Get a Mammogram
We read the clever slogans. We wear the pink ribbons. We donate to the fundraisers. And yet, despite our booming breast cancer awareness, a sizeable p...
How long does it take to get the results from a mammogram?
West Hills Hospital & Medical CenterWest Hills Hospital & Medical Center
Results from a mammogram are required within 30 days of the screening.
6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts
6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts
Your breasts are pretty remarkable—you may not know everything they can do.
How Can I Stay in Good Sexual Health as I Age?