How does my vagina change with age?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

In your twenties and thirties, the vaginal walls are bathed in hormones, making them strong and robust. But as you enter your forties, hormone levels, namely estrogen, gradually start to decline. This causes the walls, which are comprised of mucous membranes (vaginal mucosa), to become less resilient and more susceptible to trauma. Inflammation or tears are more likely to occur, which can cause pain during sex.

A variety of lubricants—oil-, water- and silicone-based—effectively combat vaginal dryness. Talk to your gynecologist to see what brand she recommends. Saliva also works well as a lubricant and can enhance foreplay.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Dr. Jennifer L. Ashton, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Watch as obstetrician and gynecologist Dr. Jennifer Ashton discusses how a woman's vagina changes as she ages.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Cervical Cancer 101: Facts And Prevention
What is cervical cancer? Cancer is a disease in which cells in the body grow out of control. Cancer is always named for the part of the body where it ...
Do I have to take birth control pills if I have PCOS?
For women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), birth control pills are frequently prescribed to re...
Things No One Tells You About Menopause
Things No One Tells You About MenopauseThings No One Tells You About MenopauseThings No One Tells You About MenopauseThings No One Tells You About Menopause
Hair in weird places, “menopause brain” and other wonders of the female body. 
What Is the Rate of Heart Attacks for Women?