What is the treatment for thinning vaginal walls?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

To check for thinning vaginal walls, take a handheld mirror, and observe the color inside the opening of your vagina. Deep pink signifies healthy vaginal tissue, whereas pale or very light coloring can mean fragile vaginal mucosa. If you think you have a problem, see your gynecologist, who will examine the entire inside of the vagina with a speculum. Remember, even if you’re not exhibiting symptoms, you still need to visit your gynecologist once a year for routine checkups.

Treatment for thinning vaginal walls includes estrogen creams or tablets that can be inserted directly into the vagina; an estrogen patch you can change weekly; or a vaginal estrogen ring made of rubber or silicone, which can be kept in the vagina for three months. For an alternative to estrogen therapy, try moisturizing the vagina with a little olive oil.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

A Super Food to Prevent PMS
A Super Food to Prevent PMS
Are you among the 85 percent of menstruating women who get premenstrual syndrome (PMS)? Then here's some good news: You can fight back with spinach. ...
What questions should I ask my healthcare provider about PCOS?
If you have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) you should ask your healthcare provider the following q...
7 Worst Things for a Woman’s Heart
7 Worst Things for a Woman’s Heart7 Worst Things for a Woman’s Heart7 Worst Things for a Woman’s Heart7 Worst Things for a Woman’s Heart
Forgoing your daily workouts and experimenting with yo-yo dieting may be wreaking havoc on your ticker.
How Can Wearing High Heels Hurt my Feet?