Can I bring my own gown with me to my gynecologic exam?

Mary Chappell
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

I have no problem with that at all. I keep very large special gowns for my 300 lb plus girls but not all OB-GYNs do. That can make a patient who is already self-conscious even more so if everything is hanging out. Again, remember it may get soiled if you bleed with your pap or need a biopsy.

It would be nice if every office provided roomy cloth gowns. But there's no rule that says you can't provide your own exam gown. Call prior to your appointment and inquire if your doctor prefers gowns that open in the front or the back. Keep in mind that your gown may get stained, especially if you are having a procedure. Bring something that you won't care if it gets ruined. A wrap around robe or loose dress with a front zipper is fine. 

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Women's Health

Women's Health

Did you know that women are more likely to seek medical care than men? Sexual health needs, like pregnancy and contraception, often necessitate early visits to a doctor. But as we age, various health issues affect women more than ...

men, including depression, weight problems, and certain types of arthritis.In order to maintain your health and wellness, make sure you get an annual checkup.