Does whooping cough (pertussis) affect children differently than adults?

Whooping cough or pertussis can cause a very irritating cough that can last for months in adults. Some babies can be affected so badly by this cough that they may not get enough oxygen.  For this reason whooping cough is much more dangerous for babies and young children.

Whooping cough in children under the age of two years old is usually much more serious than whooping cough in teens or adults. Nearly all fatalities from this disease are children under six months of age. Young children often need to be hospitalized due to breathing difficulty. Many times they also need a tube inserted in the windpipe.

Continue Learning about Whooping Cough

Can I Develop Whooping Cough (Pertussis) as an Adult?
People of all ages can get whooping cough (pertussis). Watch Darria Long-Gillespie, MD, explain how symptoms can be different for adults and children,...
What are the symptoms of whooping cough (pertussis) in children?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
The symptoms of whooping cough (pertussis) in children are: Sneezing Runny nose Minimal or no f...
How serious are the consequences of whooping cough outbreaks?
One example of the seriousness of vaccine-preventable diseases is the increase in whooping cough (pe...
What You Need To Know About Whooping Cough