How is the placenta delivered after the baby is born?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

After having her baby, there's one more thing left for a woman to deliver: a placenta. Find out more from Dr. Oz as he explains how long it takes in this video animation.

The delivery team will help you deliver the placenta by applying pressure to your abdomen. They'll inspect it when it comes out to make sure it's all there. If a piece is missing, they'll do an ultrasound to locate the missing piece and plans will be made to remove it, ideally within the first 15 minutes after delivery, since your cervix is still dilated and you may still be enjoying the effects of anesthesia. However they may wait longer if necessary. If the missing fragments can't be removed at the bedside, you may have to undergo a procedure called a D&C to get them out.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time, are trying to start your family, or already have enough children to start your own basketball team, you're bound to have questions about what it means to be pregnant -- and how you can increase your odds of having a healthy and happy pregnancy. But no matter how much you've read, watched, studied, or talked about this amazing biological journey, you have never read anything like this. In this groundbreaking book, Dr. Michael Roizen and Dr. Mehmet Oz act as mythbusters for the hundreds of questions surrounding pregnancy in the same scientific, informative, and entertaining ways that have made them America's Doctors. In these pages, you'll learn everything you need to know about the miracles of fetal development, your health throughout the pregnancy, and providing the best possible environment for your growing child. Pregnancy is a complicated balancing act, but it doesn't have to be frightening. The doctors will help you de-stress as they describe accurately and rationally what happens during a thrilling nine months of life. While every pregnant body is different, odds are you'll experience some of the cravings, crying, and discomfort that almost all women go through. Your best tactic? Learn why these things are happening -- and what you should do about them. YOU: Having a Baby will teach you everything you need to know about what to eat (should I be eating for two?), how much to exercise, and what guilty pleasures will actually make pregnancy easier on you (and the loved ones who get to be around you for the whole thing). Each phase of pregnancy has different challenges, but the right information will prepare you for what's ahead. The interactive week-by-week calendar inside provides an even more detailed guideline for how and what you should feel through every step of the process. Exciting, cutting-edge scientific research in the fi eld of epigenetics has changed the way the medical profession looks at pregnancy, and now it can change your perspective, too. Epigenetics explores what makes us develop in certain ways -- why some people thrive at math while others are prone to chronic diseases. It turns out that there are easy things you can do that will not just help your baby's development in utero but will actually improve his or her chances of living a healthy, fulfi lling adult life. Filled with recipes for nutritious, satisfying snacks and meals even Pop can cook (yes, he can!), safe exercises for staying fit, and tons of YOU tips that will help you stay comfortable, YOU: Having a Baby is the ultimate guidebook for what to do from the moment of conception to the weeks after your child has arrived home. From morning sickness and food cravings to choosing a doctor and changing a diaper, YOU: Having a Baby will give you the real scoop about what's in store for you during this amazing time in your life.
Dr. Linda S. Katz, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)
After the baby is delivered and the umbilical cord is cut, delivery of the placenta usually follows spontaneously. In this video, I will explain the placenta delivery process.
Dr. Deborah Raines, MSN
Nursing Specialist
The placenta is delivered during the third stage of labor. The third stage of labor incorporates the time from the delivery of the infant to the delivery of the placenta. It is the shortage stage lasting less than 30 minutes in most births. During this stage, the uterus continues to contract and rises upward in the abdomen as the placenta detaches from the uterine wall. A sudden trickle or gush of bright red blood appears as the placenta separates from the uterine wall. The uterus assumes a globe shape as the placenta is delivered and the third stage of labor is completed.

Continue Learning about What Will Happen After Delivery & Pregnancy