How is the placenta delivered after the baby is born?

The delivery team will help you deliver the placenta by applying pressure to your abdomen. They'll inspect it when it comes out to make sure it's all there. If a piece is missing, they'll do an ultrasound to locate the missing piece and plans will be made to remove it, ideally within the first 15 minutes after delivery, since your cervix is still dilated and you may still be enjoying the effects of anesthesia. However they may wait longer if necessary. If the missing fragments can't be removed at the bedside, you may have to undergo a procedure called a D&C to get them out.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

After having her baby, there's one more thing left for a woman to deliver: a placenta. Find out more from Dr. Oz as he explains how long it takes in this video animation.

Dr. Linda S. Katz, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)
After the baby is delivered and the umbilical cord is cut, delivery of the placenta usually follows spontaneously. In this video, I will explain the placenta delivery process.
Dr. Deborah Raines, MSN
Nursing Specialist
The placenta is delivered during the third stage of labor. The third stage of labor incorporates the time from the delivery of the infant to the delivery of the placenta. It is the shortage stage lasting less than 30 minutes in most births. During this stage, the uterus continues to contract and rises upward in the abdomen as the placenta detaches from the uterine wall. A sudden trickle or gush of bright red blood appears as the placenta separates from the uterine wall. The uterus assumes a globe shape as the placenta is delivered and the third stage of labor is completed.

Continue Learning about What Will Happen After Delivery & Pregnancy

What happens once my baby is born?
Gregory A. Guell, MDGregory A. Guell, MD
Gregory A. Guell, MD in obstetrics & gynecology at Mercy Hospital, explains the steps doctors take i...
How long will I stay in the hospital after giving birth?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The length of a hospital stay after giving birth will depend on the type of delivery a woman had. If...
Why should my placenta be examined after I give birth?
Linda S. Katz, MDLinda S. Katz, MD
Doctors want to make sure all pieces of the placenta are removed after birth. In this video, Linda K...
When should I seek medical attention after giving birth?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Always speak with your medical provider if you have concerns about how you are feeling after del...