Should I take steps to prevent STDs and HIV if I practice monogamy?

Since monogamy, particularly serial monogamy, is not 100 percent effective in preventing exposure to sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) or HIV, other methods of prevention can increase effective prevention. The use of condoms during sexual intercourse can strengthen your chances of preventing exposure to STDs or HIV. Reducing genital skin-to-skin contact can also protect against STDs such as herpes.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

What is serial monogamy?
Serial monogamy is the practice of engaging in a relationship with one mate at a time, over an exten...
Should I talk to my doctor about monogamy?
Talking with your doctor about the benefits of monogamy in preventing the spread of sexually transmi...
Are intrauterine devices (IUD) only recommended in monogamy?
Kevin W. Windom, MDKevin W. Windom, MD
This is a very debatable subject. A lot of physicians do not feel comfortable placing IUDs in young,...
Does monogamy help to treat pre-existing STDs?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Monogamy does not help treat existing STDs in any way! Even if you and your partner enter into a rel...