Should I take steps to prevent STDs and HIV if I practice monogamy?

Since monogamy, particularly serial monogamy, is not 100 percent effective in preventing exposure to sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) or HIV, other methods of prevention can increase effective prevention. The use of condoms during sexual intercourse can strengthen your chances of preventing exposure to STDs or HIV. Reducing genital skin-to-skin contact can also protect against STDs such as herpes.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

Should I talk to my doctor about monogamy?
Talking with your doctor about the benefits of monogamy in preventing the spread of sexually transmi...
Is there a common gene that unites monogamous species?
Scientists have studied the arginine vasopressin 1a receptor (avpr1a) gene as a possible source for ...
Are there alternatives to monogamy as a social practice?
There are several alternatives to monogamy as a social practice. Approximately four out of five anth...
Do physicians recommend monogamy to protect against STDs?
When used in combination with an accurate assessment of your partner's sexual history, most physicia...