How does time between partners affect risk in serial monogamy?

The frequency of serial monogamy can affect the rate of contact between infected and people at risk. Many people may stop condom use in even short-term monogamous relationships, thus putting them at higher exposure risk. Moreover, the time between the last relationship and a new one may not be long enough for dormant symptoms of a potential STD to appear. If a person engages in a long succession of short-term monogamous relationships, with short intervals in between, risk of exposure is escalated.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

Is monogamy in mammals genetic?
Monogamy is not genetic in mammals. If it were genetic, far more species would tend toward monogamy....
How does monogamy differ from abstinence in preventing STDs?
Abstinence, or the complete lack of sexual activity, is the most effective protection against sexual...
How does monogamy differ from "negotiated safety"?
"Negotiated safety" advises that an emotionally monogamous couple that is sexually polygamous develo...
Should I leave my partner if he is not ready for monogamy?
Paul  Hokemeyer, PhDPaul Hokemeyer, PhD
It depends on how long you have been together, what your intentions are for the relationship and if ...