Does monogamy prevent STDs equally in hetero- and homosexuals?

When the practice of monogamy is followed strictly and with an uninfected partner, its effectiveness in protecting against STD transmission is the same regardless of homosexuality or heterosexuality. Although studies have shown that the likelihood of monogamy as a long-term practice is lower in homosexual males, the principles of monogamy's effectiveness remain the same across the board. A history of at-risk behavior prior to a monogamous relationship can affect the level of risk regardless of sexual orientation, while regular testing and long-term monogamy provide the same level of prevention.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

Does partner choice in monogamy reduce the risk of STDs?
If your current monogamous partner engaged in high-risk sexual behavior in the past, there a possibi...
Should I take steps to prevent STDs and HIV if I practice monogamy?
Since monogamy, particularly serial monogamy, is not 100 percent effective in preventing exposure to...
What is serial monogamy?
Serial monogamy is the practice of engaging in a relationship with one mate at a time, over an exten...
What is sexual monogamy?
Sexual monogamy is when a couple remains faithful to one another. They do not engage with outside se...