Can I use monogamy as a long-term protection against STDs?

Only the complete absence of sexual contact can be a truly reliable protection against STDs and HIV transmitted through genital or oral contact. However, monogamy and a limitation of the number of sexual partners can also be effective prevention if adopted in the long-term. If you give up the practice of monogamy at any time and acquire several casual sexual partners, you will increase your risk of exposure to STDs and HIV.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

Can monogamy affect pregnancy?
Medically speaking, monogamy will not affect your likelihood of getting pregnant. However, because m...
Does monogamy prevent STDs equally in hetero- and homosexuals?
When the practice of monogamy is followed strictly and with an uninfected partner, its effectiveness...
Should I leave my partner if he is not ready for monogamy?
Paul  Hokemeyer, PhDPaul Hokemeyer, PhD
It depends on how long you have been together, what your intentions are for the relationship and if ...
Does partner choice in monogamy reduce the risk of STDs?
If your current monogamous partner engaged in high-risk sexual behavior in the past, there a possibi...