Is monogamy in mammals genetic?

Monogamy is not genetic in mammals. If it were genetic, far more species would tend toward monogamy. As it is, birds are more likely to be monogamous than mammals. Only a few species of mammals other than humans are monogamous.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

If I practice monogamy, should I get tested for STDs and HIV?
Even if you've been practicing monogamy, regular testing for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) an...
Is monogamy in humans a matter of biology?
Humans are not genetically predisposed to monogamy. One reason humans may practice monogamy is becau...
Should I talk to my doctor about monogamy?
Talking with your doctor about the benefits of monogamy in preventing the spread of sexually transmi...
Can monogamy affect pregnancy?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Monogamy is critical before and during pregnancy. Increasing your risk of sexually transmitted infec...