Is monogamy in humans a matter of biology?

Humans are not genetically predisposed to monogamy. One reason humans may practice monogamy is because it takes so long for young to mature. The formation of a pair to protect and nurture offspring helps ensure its survival. However, monogamy also becomes tied up in psychology, sociology, anthropology, theology, philosophy, and ethics, to name a few.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

Does monogamy help to treat pre-existing STDs?
Monogamy is not a treatment for pre-existing disease. A monogamous relationship can prevent you from...
Should I talk to my doctor about monogamy?
Talking with your doctor about the benefits of monogamy in preventing the spread of sexually transmi...
Are there alternatives to monogamy as a social practice?
There are several alternatives to monogamy as a social practice. Approximately four out of five anth...
Should I take steps to prevent STDs and HIV if I practice monogamy?
Since monogamy, particularly serial monogamy, is not 100 percent effective in preventing exposure to...