How can I provide a safe environment for a child to disclose abuse?

To provide a safe environment for a child to disclose abuse, make sure the setting is confidential and comfortable. Avoid communicating with shock, horror or fear about anything said, even though what you are hearing is likely shocking and horrifying. The child may interpret your reaction as you being shocked and horrified by him or her and shut down. The child needs you to be confident and supportive. Speak slowly and maintain a calm demeanor. Tell the child he or she is doing the right thing and that you will do what you can to help them.

Continue Learning about Child Abuse

How the Impact of Child Abuse Extends Into Adulthood
Adults who have experienced early childhood abuse or neglect often find that the mental and physical consequences of this trauma persist well into adu...
Hidden Signs of Child Abuse
Hidden Signs of Child Abuse
Every year, there are around 700,000 confirmed cases of child abuse in the United States. Three-quarters of these children that experienced abuse also...
What are the signs that a parent is emotionally abusing his or her child?
A child who is being emotionally abused might be excessively compliant and passive or overly aggress...
How can I encourage a child to speak about his abuse?
ChildhelpChildhelp
To encourage a child to speak about child abuse, acknowledge his or her courage in speaking out. If ...