How can I provide a safe environment for a child to disclose abuse?

To provide a safe environment for a child to disclose abuse, make sure the setting is confidential and comfortable. Avoid communicating with shock, horror or fear about anything said, even though what you are hearing is likely shocking and horrifying. The child may interpret your reaction as you being shocked and horrified by him or her and shut down. The child needs you to be confident and supportive. Speak slowly and maintain a calm demeanor. Tell the child he or she is doing the right thing and that you will do what you can to help them.

Continue Learning about Child Abuse

How can I protect my child from abuse?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
Prevention of child abuse is both a personal and societal issue, and parents need to protect their c...
What is educational neglect in children?
ChildhelpChildhelp
Educational neglect in children is when parents and schools do not take responsibility for making su...
What is emotional neglect in children?
ChildhelpChildhelp
Emotional neglect in children is when children do not get enough affection and attention to feel lov...
Which children are most vulnerable to abuse?
Child abuse can include neglect as well as sexual, physical or emotional abuse. According to the Dep...