How can I maintain my weight while recovering from a foot injury?

Howard E. Lewine, MD
Hospitalist
Your short-term goal is to get adequate nutrition. This promotes good wound healing. You certainly do not want to start a very low calorie diet.

You can figure out about how many calories you need per day like this:

Step 1
Multiply your weight (in pounds) by 4.35. Add 655.

Step 2
Multiply your height (in inches) by 4.7. Add this to your Step 1 total.

Step 3
Multiply your age by 4.7. Subtract this from your Step 2 total.

Here is an example for someone who weighs 185 pounds and stands 6' tall:

Step 1
185 pounds x 4.35 = 804.75 + 655.00 = 1,459.75

Step 2
72 inches x 4.7 = 338.4 + 1,459.75 = 1,798.15

Step 3
47 years old x 4.7 = 220.0

1,798.15
- 220.00
1,578.15 is the approximate number of calories needed per day

Also, be sure to get enough protein in your diet. It doesn't take much — about 6 ounces of protein is enough.

Any exercise that you are able to perform will help your recovery. Your foot injury might prevent you from walking right now. This is a good chance to increase your arm strength. Don't over do it. Use light resistance with many repetitions of arm exercises.

Also, you should try to strengthen your thigh muscles. While sitting, straighten one leg and hold for 5 seconds. Then lower your foot back to the ground. Repeat this 8 to 12 times. Then do the same exercise with the other leg. Aim to do this three times per day.
Harvard Medical School Healthy Solution to Lose Weight and Keep it Off

It's no wonder so many Americans are overweight or obese. We have easy access to all sorts of tempting food day and night but fewer opportunities to build physical activity into our daily routines,...

Continue Learning about Weight Maintenance

Don't Derail Your Diet, Make a YOU-Turn
Don't Derail Your Diet, Make a YOU-Turn
You're going to make wrong turns. You're going to turn left at the chili dogs, make a right at the blueberry pie and occasionally merge onto the inter...
4 Ways to Fight Winter Weight Gain
4 Ways to Fight Winter Weight Gain
Picking up a few extra pounds in cold weather -- that dreaded "winter weight gain" -- is maddening. Even though your metabolism speeds up a bit to kee...
How can I break a weight-loss plateau?
Jeff Croswell, NASM Elite TrainerJeff Croswell, NASM Elite Trainer
This is a common problem with most people who want to lose weight. Many people see great weight loss...
How do I know if I am a healthy size?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Not everyone can, or should, be skinny. But everyone can be healthier. Doctors use two common wa...