How is lack of sleep in kids linked to weight gain later in life?

A child’s risk of being fat in adulthood increases due to poor sleep habits as a kid.

That’s right: how well your kids sleep will have long-term effects on them. The relationship between sleep and obesity risk is much more intricate and “time-consuming” than previously thought. To think that a kid’s sleep habits relate to his or her chances of being an obese adult is pretty astonishing. It’s contrary to conventional wisdom to think that inadequate sleep in childhood has long-lasting consequences.

Let me spell out the good news: if you can help your child get a good night’s rest, you can help your kid avoid being overweight or worse, obese later in life. I think it’s much easier to get a kid to go to bed earlier than to get him or her to stop eating junk food on a consistent basis.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss