If I want to lose weight, why must I avoid food with a high glycemic index?

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
Foods with a high glycemic index cause a rapid rise in blood sugar and a rapid rise in insulin levels. Of course, if your body doesn't need all of that sugar, or fails to recognize the insulin to put the sugar into cells, then the sugar gets converted to fatty acids to be stored as FAT, thanks to insulin. So, for weight loss purposes, foods with a high glycemic index are to be consumed in limited quantities. Our bodies function best with a near constant level of energy (sugar and water) to use as needed. So, choosing foods with a low glycemic index that release sugar into the bloodstream gradually over time would help to keep blood sugar levels constant, and has been shown to help people lose weight and sculpt their bodies. Your goal is to keep your energy level constant without spikes in sugar or insulin.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Lose Fat Just by Standing?
Lose Fat Just by Standing?
Your body might be able to break down fat better if you do this one simple thing: stand more. A small study suggests that when people sit around too ...
Can I lose weight in one specific area?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Unfortunately, you can't lose weight in one specific area (spot-training). We all have problem a...
7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them
7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them
Deborah Wilburn
What Are Some Emotional Issues That Can Get in the Way of Weight Loss?