How do I know if I'm addicted to sugar?

If you really feel like you "need" to have sugar in your diet, you may have a dependency - or addiction - to it. In this video, psychologist Ramani Durvasula, PhD, discusses some signs and symptoms that may point to an actual addiction to sugar.
JJ Virgin
Health Education
One of the surest ways to tell whether you're a sugar burner -- meaning your body is primarily running on glucose (sugar) for fuel -- is to be hungry every few hours. Constant cravings are another big sign that your diet is high sugar impact. Rather than completely eliminate sugar all at once (a surefire way to crash, burn and crave those blondie brownies your coworker brought in), I recommend gradually tapering and transitioning onto a low-sugar impact diet.
Nicole Avena, PhD
To investigate a possible addiction to sugar, you must assess your behavior and see how it's being affected by your sugar intake. In this video, research neuroscientist Nicole Avena, PhD, explains how you can figure out if you're addicted to sugar. 

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Want to Lose Weight? Do NOT Do This in the Morning!
Are you so over breakfast? You might be smart if breakfast for you means (yes, confess) a daily Sausage Egg McMuffin (450 calories, 27 grams of fat). ...
What are some other options to getting on the scale at the doctor's office?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
No one is going to force you to do anything. It's much better to get everything you need done other ...
6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight
6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight
Could these surprising things be sabotaging your weight loss?
A Pre-Meal Weight Loss Tip
A Pre-Meal Weight Loss Tip