How can a change in mindset help me lose weight?

Your Mind is Your Best Weight Loss Tool. Losing weight does not happen overnight, and it is not something that comes about as the result of one big decision. Losing weight is a series of decisions. In fact, it is two hundred small decisions a day that slowly add up to a great outcome. But you have to decide to lose weight and get fit over and over. And that happens in your mind.

Think of your weight loss journey like a big ship. As long as it stays on course, you make steady progress toward your goal. The steering wheel—that tool that determines whether the ship stays on course--is your mind. So you have to figure out what you want. Do you want to lose weight?  Do you want to get fit?  Why?  What are the reasons that you want this?  Now decide how badly you want it. Your mindset is all you have when it comes down to those decisions that will happen repeatedly.

For example, it is certain that you will come home from work one night and be exhausted, hungry and upset. You will hungrily open the refrigerator and have to make a choice. Eat the baloney and cookie dough?  Or eat the pinto beans and vegetables? 

It is easy to diet when you feel great and your energy is up and things are going well.  Many times, however, it isn’t like that, is it?  Many times it is hard to stay consistent.  In order to steer the ship, you have to know where you are going. That is when you need your “why.” This is when you need to have a clear picture of what you want:  Do you want to be healthy, fit into smaller clothes and avoid many of the chronic illnesses that come with being overweight and unfit? Then choose the healthy food. 

Or do you want to put on weight, feel your clothes get tighter, have decreasing energy and anticipate a future of chronic diseases?  Then choose the unhealthy food. You have to do this one decision at a time, with the mind at the wheel. Don’t worry about tomorrow; just concentrate on the next decision.  Before you know it, you will have created lifestyle habits that make getting fit second nature!

A change in mindset can help you lose weight when one changes their mindset from a negative stand point to a positive one. When it comes to weight loss, most of us are seeking a lifestyle change. We do not want to just lose weight temporarily but we want to lose weight permanently. In order to do so we must have a healthy mindset. We must think healthy in order to act and be healthy. It is easier to maintain a healthy lifestyle if you are able to enjoy your new healthy habits.

Avoid thinking negatively, like I didn't work out long enough, I am not good enough, I will never be able to do this. Instead focus on what you can do and what you are doing! You are waking up 3 days a week and walking for 15 minutes. You are drinking more water. You are trying; you are doing the best you can! Take small steps that will help you reach realistic goals that in the end will help you reach your main goal. Anything you want is possible, but first you have to think it!

When you have a positive mindset you are able to focus on your goal more clearly. Some days will be hard, but you just stay positive and keep moving forward. We all hit bumps in the road, so it is important to prepare and expect these distractions without getting knocked off course. Always think about what you can do, not what can't do. Think about what you want not what you don't want!

Continue Learning about Weight Loss