A Answers (7)
The basic rules of healthy weight loss are:
I have clients pay attention to two things when beginning a weight loss program
Be Ready... Have Faith... Forgive Yourself!!!
I try and get clients to understand that they have to be ready. Being ready is much more than saying you are ready, being ready is setting that decision in your mind and then following through. Having faith just means believing in yourself and the process and finally it is not easy for anyone so you have to be willing to forgive yourself if you are not exactly perfect with the plan.
The 5 steps to goal setting
The biggest key to healthy weight loss is to learn how good nutrition and how your body burns and stores fuel and nutrients. Use your new found knowledge and understanding to make permanent healthy lifestyle changes in the foods you eat, staying active and exercise, stress management and getting a good night’s sleep.
With all the information out there, try to K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Silly). Successful weight loss programs all have the following in common:
1. Portion control – Identifying an appropriate portion of food
2. Eating close to the ground (the foods ... not you!) - Lots of whole grains, fruits and vegetables – these nutrient-rich, fiber loaded foods deliver lots of nutrition with relatively few calories and they fill you up
3. Eating breakfast – while it does not have to be first thing in the morning, people that eat breakfast are more successful at weight loss and weight loss maintenance than people who do not
4. Chewing not glugging – Loads of studies reveal that our bodies do not register beverage calories the same way we do food calories. Soda, sports drinks, cocktails all contain a significant amount of calories but they do not help fill us up, so we don’t reduce the other foods we are eating to compensate
5. Watching the “extras.” It’s not that you’ll never again have a brownie, but if these high-calorie foods (sweets, processed snacks foods, alcohol, fast foods, etc.) are a regular part of your diet, you will have a hard time losing weight. While weight control (why some people gain while other people lose) remains in some ways a mystery even to the scientists who study it, following these five simple rules will dramatically increase your chances of success.
The key word here is "healthy"! There are plenty of ways to lose weight, but the trick is to make it last - and that comes down to three things:
1. Reducing how many calories you eat in a day by about 10%
2. Increasing how many calories you burn in a day by about 10%
3. Making behavior changes that help you accomplish number one and two (the list here is highly personal - some examples include switching from your daily soda to water, or grocery shopping with a list).
When you attack weight loss in this way, you are aiming for slow and steady weight loss - this means you are more likely to keep that weight off in the long run! Working with a Registered Dietitian can be very valuable in this process - a RD will help to show you where you can painlessly shave off calories, and which behavior changes will make a difference to your efforts. To find a RD in your area, visit www.eatright.org.