Why was I referred for bariatric surgery?

Your primary care doctor has referred you for bariatric surgery to improve your overall health and increase your lifespan. Bariatric surgery is the only effective long-term therapy for obesity and its related medical conditions when your body mass index (BMI) is greater than 35 metric units (kg/m2). The specific medical criteria necessary to qualify for surgery, ensure that your bariatric operation is being performed to decrease the effect of obesity related medical conditions like diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, coronary artery disease, acid reflux and cancer, in addition to many other conditions. You may have also been referred because of having specific medical conditions that are more difficult to treat in obese patients, such as atrial fibrillation, diabetes, ventral hernias and osteoarthritis requiring joint replacement.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Bariatric Surgery Doubles Older Guys Survival Rates
Since Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey shut down his internal food lane with bariatric lap-band surgery, his actual weight loss (85 pounds and co...
What are the advantages of laparoscopic weight loss surgery?
Nicole M. Fearing, MDNicole M. Fearing, MD
The advantages of laparoscopic surgery include: smaller surgical cuts (incisions) less chance ...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?