Who is a good candidate for bariatric surgery?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Bariatric surgery isn’t right for everyone. It’s best reserved for those who are at least 100 pounds over ideal body weight or have a body mass index (BMI) greater than 40, or if your BMI is greater than 35 and you have associated health problems related to your obesity, like heart disease, type 2 diabetes, or severe sleep apnea.

In addition to being morbidly obese, bariatric surgery candidates are expected to have tried other weight-loss treatments with little or no success, be psychologically stable, and be able to demonstrate the motivation to make a life-altering change.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

What is revisional weight loss surgery?
Menorah Medical CenterMenorah Medical Center
Revisional weight loss surgery can mean many things. It may refer to someone who is having one type ...
Can I drink alcohol after bariatric surgery?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Drinking alcohol after bariatric surgery can be more dangerous, because of the way alcohol is broken...
When should I consider weight loss surgery?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
If your BMI is above 30, and you have tried diet and exercise but nothing is working, your doctor mi...
Is bariatric surgery right for me?
Rebecca BeecroftRebecca Beecroft
Only you and your physician can decide that. I would say that bariatric surgery is right for many pe...