When should I call a doctor after bariatric surgery?

Connect with both your surgeons and online treatment center for ongoing support during your recovery. Attend support groups, keep follow-up appointments with your surgeon and meet with a dietitian that specializes in weight loss to give you advice as you transition into each new phase of life and your diet. Contact your surgeon or dietitian if you start to notice unexpected weight gain to determine if changes can be made early on.

Dr. Melissa B. Bagloo, MD
Bariatric Medicine (Obesity Medicine) Specialist

Early on after bariatric surgery, your surgeon will give you specific instructions on when to call and seek medical attention. In general, any signs of a fever, a fast heart rate, decreased urination, increasing pain or weakness should prompt you to call your surgeon to discuss your symptoms. Inability to tolerate liquids, nausea and vomiting should also be evaluated.

After recovery from your operation and for the rest of your life, routine annual visits should be scheduled with your bariatric team to ensure that you are maintaining adequate nutrition. Serum levels of your vitamins and minerals should be evaluated on a routine basis. Weight regain, abdominal pain, and inability to tolerate a diet are also important reasons to seek further consultation.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
During the Gold Rush of the 1840s and 50s pioneers in wagon trains littered the Oregon Trail, especially in western Kansas and Colorado, with clothes,...
What is the recovery time after bariatric surgery?
St. Mark's HospitalSt. Mark's Hospital
Most patients who have weight loss surgery spend one night in the hospital. Most will return to work...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?