What can I expect during endoscopic bariatric revision surgery?

During endoscopic bariatric revision surgery, the surgeon passes a flexible tube through your mouth into the small stomach pouch. The stomach pouch and the stoma, the connection between the pouch and intestine, are repaired. You will receive anesthesia to make you comfortable during the procedure.

After endoscopic bariatric revision surgery, your healthcare team will give you diet instructions. Be sure to follow these once you are home so you can heal and get back on track in terms of eating properly.

You will also receive:

• Medications, if needed, for pain or nausea
  • Referral to support groups, dietitians and nutritionists 

The revision surgery usually takes about 30 to 60 minutes. Most people go home later that day. Someone must come with you to surgery to drive you home after the procedure. After the procedure, most people say they have improvements in feeling full (satiety) and decreased hunger. They are more likely to eat smaller, frequent meals like they did after they had their first weight-loss surgery. 

You should see a modest amount of weight loss after endoscopic revision surgery—about 10 to 30 pounds in about six months. This is less than the amount of weight lost immediately after the original operation.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Bariatric Surgery Doubles Older Guys Survival Rates
Since Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey shut down his internal food lane with bariatric lap-band surgery, his actual...
Will my insurance cover weight loss surgery?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Most national insurance companies do cover weight loss surgery, but they have many requirements befo...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?