How should I prepare for bariatric surgery?

A psychological exam is required for anyone undergoing bariatric surgery. A mental health specialist conducts an evaluation to measure a patient's well-being.

Dr. Melissa B. Bagloo, MD
Bariatric Medicine (Obesity Medicine) Specialist

Your surgeon’s office will have detailed instructions for the pre-operative period. Most commonly, you will be asked to maintain a specialized pre-operative diet for the immediate 1 to 2 weeks preceding your operation to allow for a weight loss of approximately 10 to 20 lbs. This will allow for a rapid decrease in your liver and abdominal body fat. In doing so, patient safety is increased and the risk for injury to the liver is decreased during the operation. It also assists in preparing the body for surgery and recovery after the operation. Increased protein intake will help preserve muscle mass and decrease atrophy in the recovery period. It will also help the patient accommodate to the post-operative diet that is required after surgery.

Before undergoing bariatric surgery, many patients are required to undergo six months of supervised weight loss.

Before weight loss surgery, lifestyle changes must be made to ensure weight loss maintenance after surgery.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

How Life Changes After Weight Loss Surgery
A growing number of Americans who are obese and not able to lose weight through diet and exercise alone are choosing to undergo weight loss surgery, s...
How can weight gain after bariatric surgery be treated?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Some people gain back the weight they lost with bariatric surgery. If this happens, a doctor can tre...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?