How does restrictive weight loss surgery keep me from overeating?

A restrictive procedure works by limiting how much food your stomach can hold. For example, the normal stomach can hold up to 6 cups of food but a stomach that has had a gastric sleeve can only hold about a quarter of a cup. If you try to overeat, you will get an uncomfortably full feeling and may even throw up. 
Restrictive weight loss surgery keeps you from overeating by reducing your hunger level. For example, the sleeve gastrectomy procedure has been found to reduce the hunger hormone "ghrelin" with a resultant effect of reducing hunger levels after surgery.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
During the Gold Rush of the 1840s and 50s pioneers in wagon trains littered the Oregon Trail, especially in western Kansas and Colorado, with clothes,...
What are the most common types of bariatric surgery?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
The two most common bariatric surgeries are gastric bypass and gastric sleeve.
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?