What are the risks of fat-burning supplements that contain stimulants?

Julie T. Chen, MD

Fat-burning supplements that contain stimulants can be too stressful for some people. In this video, integrative medicine specialist Julie Chen, MD, talks about the safety of these supplements.

Fat-burning supplements that contain stimulants can be dangerous. Many of them contain ephedra or its herbal counterpart, ma huang, which may cause stroke, heart attack and even death. The FDA banned these ingredients in 1994, but they're still found in some supplements.

Other fat-burning supplements may contain caffeine, in the form of green tea and guarana, which may lead to insomnia and anxiety. Talk to your health-care provider if you're considering taking one.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Follow the New Rules of Weight Loss
Follow the New Rules of Weight Loss
The path to your new life and your new shape really is simple. Adopt these strategies and watch your body change effortlessly. Make Your Eating Plan ...
Is there a safe medication that can be used to lose weight?
Dr. Mark C. Houston, MDDr. Mark C. Houston, MD
There are several nutrients that are very safe to assist in weight loss by increasing fat burning.  ...
How can eating before I'm hungry help me lose weight?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
As strange as it sounds eating before you get really hungry is a good strategy for weight loss. When...
In Ayurvedic Medicine, What Is Gharshana?