What are the recommendations for low-fat roasting?

Sarah Krieger

Roasting is an excellent method of cooking vegetables, fruits, nuts and meats/tofu! Let's break down the different issues with each food group.

Vegetables: root and aromatic vegetables crave this cooking method because the natural sugars in potatoes, carrots, beets, garlic, onions, squash and more! are released when cooked at high temp-400 to 425 with a small amount of oil and salt and pepper. If vegetables are cut into 1 inch pieces, they are ready to eat in 15 to 20 minutes.

Fruits: pinapples, apples, pears, peaches, plums and strawberries! taste amazing when roasted at high heat again. The smell of the natural carmelizing of the fruits is intoxicating at the least! No need for oil on this group. Try roasted fruits over nonfat plain yogurt with a few roasted almonds or pistachios on top for the ideal dessert.

Nuts: eventhough these are not low-fat, they are low in saturated fat, which is just as important. Try roasting raw almond slivers, pecans or walnuts at 350 until just toasted. You won't regret it and you do not need to add salt--the roasting is enough flavor.

Meat roasts and tofu: for these protein foods, the trick is to make it flavorful without adding a ton of oil or butter before roasting. Try marinating in fresh juice, seasonings and a small amount of oil up to 24 hours ahead in the fridge for flavor. Low and slow is the key for retaining moisture and flavor. Generally, stick with 325 and 20 minutes per pound. Covering with foil also is a good way to retain moisture, so the meat does not dry out. Tofu has water in it already, so no need to cover it when roasting. Tofu is also good sliced, seasoned and roasted at 400 until browned.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Intake Control for Clean Plate Club Members
When Leonardo DaVinci painted the Last Supper around 1492, the food on the table (including eel with orange slices) was pretty sparse and the dishes w...
How can I eat more mindfully?
So you grabbed a bag of chips, and a short while later, you were down to the crumbs. How'd that ...
How can caffeine and nicotine patches help with weight loss?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
I would never encourage the use of caffeine or nicotine patches specifically for the goal of weight ...
Can I Lose Weight By Exercise Alone?
Can I Lose Weight By Exercise Alone?