Do I need to watch my diet if I'm exercising to lose weight?

Natalie Castro-Romero, MS, RD
Yes, you need to watch your diet if you're exercising to lose weight. The most successful way to achieve and maintain weight loss is to make changes to your overall lifestyle, which involves both improving your eating habits and increasing physical activity levels.

Focus on these healthy eating tips to maximize your weight loss plan: 
  • Make smart food choices; eat well-balanced meals.
  • Eat at least three meals a day. Eating every three to five hours can help maintain your blood glucose levels, which can prevent you from overeating at your next meal.
  • Each meal should have at least three food groups. Make sure your meals and snacks are balanced and made up of a variety of foods from the different food groups.
  • Watch your portion sizes.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Follow the New Rules of Weight Loss
Follow the New Rules of Weight Loss
The path to your new life and your new shape really is simple. Adopt these strategies and watch your body change effortlessly. Make Your Eating Plan ...
Is there a quick way to lose weight?
Although it would be convenient to lose weight quickly, most dietary changes that are both effec...
How should I approach grocery shopping if I want to lose weight?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Never go to the grocery store on an empty stomach! All the tempting, unhealthy food will be callin...
What Is the Most Effective Way to Lose Weight?