Do I need to watch my diet if I'm exercising to lose weight?

Natalie Castro-Romero, MS, RD
Yes, you need to watch your diet if you're exercising to lose weight. The most successful way to achieve and maintain weight loss is to make changes to your overall lifestyle, which involves both improving your eating habits and increasing physical activity levels.

Focus on these healthy eating tips to maximize your weight loss plan: 
  • Make smart food choices; eat well-balanced meals.
  • Eat at least three meals a day. Eating every three to five hours can help maintain your blood glucose levels, which can prevent you from overeating at your next meal.
  • Each meal should have at least three food groups. Make sure your meals and snacks are balanced and made up of a variety of foods from the different food groups.
  • Watch your portion sizes.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Weight Loss Strategies

Weight Loss Strategies

Everyone has opinions on how to lose weight – everything from Pilates to supplements to sleeping sans pajamas has been touted as an effective weight loss strategy. It's all about discovering what works for you. For some people, th...

e community support found on social media or in support groups for weight loss is an effective tool, while others benefit from the tried and true method of working up a daily sweat. Whatever strategy you choose, the key is finding something that you can stick with that works for your lifestyle.