Do I need to watch my diet if I'm exercising to lose weight?

Natalie Castro-Romero, MS, RD
Yes, you need to watch your diet if you're exercising to lose weight. The most successful way to achieve and maintain weight loss is to make changes to your overall lifestyle, which involves both improving your eating habits and increasing physical activity levels.

Focus on these healthy eating tips to maximize your weight loss plan: 
  • Make smart food choices; eat well-balanced meals.
  • Eat at least three meals a day. Eating every three to five hours can help maintain your blood glucose levels, which can prevent you from overeating at your next meal.
  • Each meal should have at least three food groups. Make sure your meals and snacks are balanced and made up of a variety of foods from the different food groups.
  • Watch your portion sizes.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Want to Lose Weight? Take the A Train
Want to Lose Weight? Take the A Train
When Duke Ellington started playing Take the A Train during the 1940s and 50s, around 30 percent of North American adults were overweight. Now the rat...
How can my friends affect my weight?
Whether your goal is to lose weight or just stay active over time, you can double your chances of su...
How does the HCG diet work?
Sheri L. Emma, MDSheri L. Emma, MD
Nutritional Medicine specialist Dr. Sheri Emma explains how the HCG diet works to promote weight...
What Herbs Can Promote Weight Loss?
What Herbs Can Promote Weight Loss?