Why should I care about my weight?

Your body belongs to you and you have the ability to control what you feed it and how often you move it.   Paying attention to your weight will ensure that your body is able to handle life’s daily demands.  Maintaining a healthy weight puts less stress on your joints and internal organs and allows you to better enjoy the amazing things your body is capable of.  Treat your body well and it will reward you for years to come!

These days, it seems as though everybody is talking about overweight and obesity. And it's not just a slightly larger waistline that might come with middle age. It's weight gain that damages our health. According to national data analyzed in 2002, it's estimated that 65 percent of Americans are now overweight or obese, and more than 61 million adults are obese.

Adults aren't the only ones who've been getting heavier. Children have been getting heavier as well. The percentage of children and teens who are overweight has more than doubled since the 1970s. About 16 percent of children and teens are overweight.

This answer is based on source information from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.

Continue Learning about Weight Guidelines

Why should I know my healthy weight?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
With the U.S. obesity rate still climbing and the prevalence of added sugars in processed foods rais...
What are some ways to assess my weight?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Healthcare providers use several different measures to assess body weight. Common ways of lookin...
How big should my waist be?
To maintain optimal health, your ideal waist size should be less than half your height. For the ...
How Weight Affects Your RealAge
How Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAge
How old are you really? Find out how weight impacts how long you'll live.