Why is it important to drink water before I go walking?

Drinking water prior to walking or any form of exercise will assist in keeping your body hydrated. Dehydration is not beneficial and not may lead to issues such as cramps, feelings of nausea and fatigue, and potential injury. So be sure to drink and drink often.

Hydration is very important to a successful exercise program. Whether it is a strength training, running or walking. Our bodies are made of 75% of water and needs to be maintained for the body to function at its best.

Symptoms of dehydration to watch for:

• Thirst
  • Dry Mouth
  • fatigue or Weakness
  • Chills
  • Dark Colored Urine
  • Dizziness or lightheadedness.

Water is your best hydration fluids. NASM recomends:

Two hours before exercise, drink two cups of fluid.

During your exercise, drink five-ten 10 ounces of fluid every 15 to 20 minutes.

Roy Miner
Fitness
It is important to make sure that you are completely hydrated before you go for a walk. The theory behind this is that as your heart rate increases, you will begin to sweat. This starts the process of dehydrating your body. Also, different conditions affect the rate that you sweat. Weather conditions, what you are wearing for clothing, the pace and incline all affect the rate that you dehydrate. Hydration is important for your muscles and all of your other bodily functions. Dehydrated muscles can cause muscle cramping and major discomfort besides other more important problems like serious illness and death. So drinking water before you walk, during your walk and after your walk is extremely important to how your body systems all function together. I personally drink water all day long. And that is all that I drink. I don't drink coffee. It is dehydrating and a stimulant. And what else is better at increasing your water levels than H2O itself. So make sure you drink, drink and drink some more.

Exercise such as walking causes the metabolism to rise and body water to be lost through increased respiration and sweat. Walkers should drink a large glass of water an hour before walking, then drink about a cup of water every mile. When you finish walking, drink a glass of water.

Without this extra water, your muscles will become dehydrated. Muscle movement depends on how hydrated you are, so if they are dry, they will not work as well. As a result, your workout will not be as productive as you would like, and you’re likely to be sore later on.

Continue Learning about Walking Safety

Walking Safety

Walking Safety

While walking isn't as intense as other forms of exercise, it's still important to use proper form to prevent injury and take precautions to ensure your health and safety. Consider the time of day you will be walking and the locat...

ion -- do you need reflective gear to be seen, or sun protection? Do you know how to match your gear to the weather and terrain? How can you avoid dehydration? Be prepared, whether you're walking on a treadmill at the gym or out on a running path. Learn more about staying safe while walking with expert advice from Sharecare.