What can I do about slapping feet when walking?

As you walk, try to focus on controlling your feet as you lower and lift. This at first will be challenging and may seem awkward. Try completing this when walking from the parking lot to your desk. The more you practice and the better you will get. Eventually you will be a pro and slap no more!

The muscles located in your lower leg which controls the rate the foot comes in contact with the ground are the tibialis anterior muscles (shin muscles). These muscles are responsible for slowly lowering the foot to the ground when your heel makes its initial contact to the ground during normal walking. To reduce the slapping of your foot to the ground try to strengthen the tibialis muscles. One good exercise is toe rises with an elastic band. Loop the band around all your toes and mid foot and then secure the band against the ground with your other foot. Keeping the band snug against the ground, try to raise your toes/top part of your foot towards your head and bring it down slowly. Try 2 sets of 15 reps with a moderate weighted band.

I have had a few clients that walked and ran like that.  I want you to practice walking by rolling your feet from heel to the ball of your foot.  When you are walking for exercise really focus on doing just that. Before you know it this habit becomes a part of you, and you've just corrected yourself.

Continue Learning about Walking Biomechanics

Walking Biomechanics

Walking Biomechanics

Walking around at any given time, you may not think too much about your strides, posture, breathing or arm movement. When you walk for fitness, your form can affect your walks and even contribute to your risk for injury. Learn mor...

e about proper walking form with expert advice from Sharecare.