How can I prevent my children from getting nonspecific vulvovaginitis?

If you have a daughter who has not yet gone through puberty, she runs a higher risk of developing nonspecific vulvovaginitis. This is because of her lack of pubic hair, estrogen, or fat on her labial pads (vaginal lips) to protect her against infection and irritation. The best way to prevent nonspecific vulvovaginitis is to instruct young girls how to maintain genital hygiene. This includes wiping from front to back when using the bathroom, frequently washing hands, and urinating with spread knees to prevent a buildup of urine in the vagina. Another prevention technique is to outfit your child in looser fitting clothes and underwear. If your child experiences sensitivity to chemicals found in soap or bathwater, it can be helpful to clean the vagina with clear water instead.

Continue Learning about Vulvovaginitis

Vulvovaginitis

Vulvovaginitis

Vulvovaginitis refers to numerous types of infections that can affect the vulva and vaginal area. Causes of vulvovaginitis include yeast, bacteria, parasites STDs and other viruses. If you have symptoms of vulvovaginitis like odor...

, discharge, itching, rash or pain in the vagina, you should call your doctor. You will want to make sure that you are treated for this condition, as it does not always go away on its own.