Can I treat vaginal infections at home?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
If you believe your vaginal infection is a yeast infection, I do believe you can treat this at home.  There are numerous over-the-counter medications that are used, and a 3-night course is the best mode of treatment.  If you are worried of a sexually transmitted infection or if you have vaginal discharge with a foul odor, then it is more important to seek medical attention because the treatment of this infection with over-the-counter yeast medications will not remedy your problem and possibly could make your problem worse.

You should always see a doctor to diagnose your first vaginal infection. Women who have recurrent yeast infections, though, may be able to use over-the-counter creams or suppositories and forego the doctor visit. However, if the infection doesn't clear up, you should visit your doctor because this may indicate that you have a different type of infection. And if you keep having vaginal infections, you should talk with your doctor about what you can do to prevent recurrence.

Continue Learning about Vulvovaginitis Treatment