What causes voice disorders?

Voice disorders can be caused by a wide array of conditions and contributing factors. Common causes include vocal strain (yelling, screaming, or speaking a lot), viral infections (laryngitis), polyps, nodules, cancer, and inhaled irritants such as cigarette smoke. Many causes of voice disorders can be corrected, leading to the resolution of the voice disorder. Abstaining from vocal misuse and smoking are significant ways to reduce your risk of developing a voice disorder or to correct a voice disorder you have already developed.

Continue Learning about Voice Disorders

How do other illnesses affect stuttering?
Brain disorders and brain damage can be linked to stuttering. Some stuttering has been shown to be c...
Is there a cure for stuttering?
There is no definitive cure for stuttering. Most children who stutter while learning to speak will g...
What Increases My Risk for Voice Disorders?
What Can Be the Cause of a Chronically Hoarse Voice?