What causes voice disorders?

Voice disorders can be caused by a wide array of conditions and contributing factors. Common causes include vocal strain (yelling, screaming, or speaking a lot), viral infections (laryngitis), polyps, nodules, cancer, and inhaled irritants such as cigarette smoke. Many causes of voice disorders can be corrected, leading to the resolution of the voice disorder. Abstaining from vocal misuse and smoking are significant ways to reduce your risk of developing a voice disorder or to correct a voice disorder you have already developed.

Continue Learning about Voice Disorders

What do I need to know about caring for someone with catarrh?
Catarrh can cause discomfort, so help someone with catarrh to remember to take their decongestants a...
Should I talk to my doctor about my child's stuttering symptoms?
Some stuttering while your child is learning to speak should not alarm you, but if you're concerned ...
What Can Be the Cause of a Chronically Hoarse Voice?
What Increases My Risk for Voice Disorders?